San Francisco Friends School educates girls and boys in the tradition of Quaker learning. By example and commitment, we hope to inspire all connected with our school to work together toward a peaceful and caring society.
The foundations of our mission are:
- Academic excellence
- Quaker values of simplicity, integrity, mutual respect, service to others, and peaceful problem-solving
- Community life, bringing together a diverse group of children, families, faculty, and staff through a sense of belonging
- Attention to the emotional and spiritual growth of the individual
- Social responsibility
Current Job Listings
San Francisco Friends School, a K–8 Quaker school located in the Mission district of San Francisco, seeks substitute teachers to teach classes at all grade levels and in all subject areas when regular teachers are absent. The ideal candidate is a responsible, flexible, child-friendly person with relevant classroom teaching experience. A teaching credential is not required. Substitute teachers are hired on an as-needed basis.
- Maintain a safe, productive learning environment for the students in the classroom and on the playground.
- Execute the teacher’s lesson plans.
- Report back to the teacher any concerns or issues from the day.
- Collaborate with and support the grade level or departmental team.
$22.50/hour for the first 4 hours or $140/day.
San Francisco Friends School is a K-8 co-educational independent school, started in 2002, that combines outstanding academics with Quaker values of simplicity, integrity, mutual respect, and peaceful problem-solving.
*If you are interesting in applying to join our sub pool, please email us at: email@example.com
The San Francisco Friends School welcomes all students and staff and does not discriminate on the basis of ethnic origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation or disability in administration of its educational policies, enrollment or hiring policies, and other school-administered programs.
For further information about San Francisco Friends School’s beginnings, mission and philosophy, please visit our website at www.sffriendsschool.org.
Teaching assistants are important members of the San Francisco Friends School teaching team. The assistant is expected to be working toward being a classroom teacher and we are eager to support assistants who wish to develop their skills as educators.
SFFS is an Independent K-8 school in the Mission District that was founded in the tradition of Quaker schools. We seek an assistant teacher for the 2018-19 school year. This position at SFFS is a full time, one year contracted position. Having opened our doors in 2002, we now have 430 students in our K-8 school. SFFS seeks candidates compelled by the school's mission, which includes exemplary education supported by a community dedicated to peaceful problem-solving, service to others, simplicity, respect for the individual and silent reflection. The middle school teaching assistant position brings experience and support to our middle school teachers and students.
- Supervision of children, including recess, lunchtime, arrival and dismissal
- Maintaining classroom spaces, and preparing materials for lessons
- Student observations
- Serving as a co-advisor
- Working with individual, small and large groups of children in a variety of subjects
- Accompanying students and attending specialist classes, as needed
- Provide short-term coverage for lead teachers, as needed
- Assist in coordination of field trips, service learning and outdoor education
- Participation in faculty and staff meetings
- Serve as bridge between the regular school day and the after-school program
Additional responsibilities may be negotiated based on the skills, expertise and profile of the applicant. The assistant is encouraged to join school activities and serve on school-wide committees. The middle school assistant will attend a few evening special events, like Back to School Night, New Family Orientation evenings, conferences and may support teachers in assessments and preparations for report writing, as requested.
Overview of Qualifications
Successful applicants will possess a sense of commitment to the school's mission and eagerness to participate in a developing community. We seek flexible applicants willing to adapt to the needs of a range of students and teachers. Qualified applicants will possess a talent for working with children in an educational setting, as well as strong communication skills and the ability to work in a team. We are particularly drawn to educators who have a pioneering spirit and are creative problem solvers. We seek assistants who are open and adept at communicating with colleagues, parents, and students.
- Starting T.A. salary 2012-13 is $32,000, with no experience.
- Full medical insurance with Kaiser
- $1,200 Health Savings Account annual benefit that accumulates and is portable
- Dental with MetLife
- Long-term disability insurance
- Life insurance
- Vision insurance
- Flexible spending account for medical and child care (employee can set aside pre-tax dollars to pay for these things)
- Retirement plan, mandatory after two years -- 5% contribution by employee, matched by 6 % by SFFS
- Pre-tax public transportation vouchers
- $240 bike-to-work stipend
- 10 sick days
- 2 personal days
- 2 weeks off in winter break, 1-week Presidents week, 1-week spring break, summer off.
Interested candidates should email Andrew Salverda, Middle School Head, at firstname.lastname@example.org.