San Francisco Friends School adjusts a student's tuition to match his/her family's economic situation. The Adjustable Tuition Committee reviews each family's financial and personal circumstances along with an independent tuition estimate from the School and Student Services organization. Tuition adjustments are sent to new families with their admissions decision letter in March.
Applying for an Adjusted Tuition involves two equally important processes:
- PART A - Completing the Parents' Financial Statement on the SSS website
- PART B - Submitting a complete set of financial documents to San Francisco Friends School (list of documents below)
Completing the PFS
Families must complete the PFS (Parents' Financial Statement) located on the School and Student Services site (SSS). The SSS is an independent organization that analyzes family incomes and assets and estimates how much a family can contribute to educational expenses. This estimate is then reported to the school.
The PFS will ask you about family size, total income, savings, investments, debt, medical and dental expenses, any unusual expenses, and other assets, such as home equity. A guidebook for completing the PFS can be downloaded here.
Fee: $39 online; $51 paper
Due: January 31, 2013
School Code: 3061
- We recommend completing the PFS online. Not only is it cheaper, but your file will be processed much faster.
- For divorced, separated, or unmarried parents, each parent/guardian is required to complete a separate Parents' Financial Statement.
- Do not submit tax returns or any other documents to SSS. Documents are submitted directly to San Francisco Friends School.
- Call SSS at 800-344-8328 with any questions about the PFS (Mon - Fri: 9am-8pm EST; Sat: 9am-4pm EST)
Submitting documents to San Francisco Friends School
Please submit the following documents to San Francisco Friends School by February 21, 2013.
- 2011 and 2012 Federal Tax Returns (including any Schedules (PDFs/copies accepted)
- 2012 W-2 forms (PDFs/copies accepted)
- SFFS "Household Expenditures" form (download here)
- IRS Form 4506-T - "Request for Transcript of Tax Return" (signed copy; download here)
- If self-employed, complete the Business/Farm Statement (download here)
- If you are a majority partner in an LLP or corporation, submit IRS Forms 1065 & 1120 (PDFs/copies accepted)
Please submit any supplemental information about your financial circumstances that will help us best understand your family's specific situation. We encourage you to tell us as much as you can about your family.
Director of Finance and Operations
Director of Admissions
San Francisco Friends School
250 Valencia Street
San Francisco, CA 94103